Tuesday, May 26, 2009

2009 BolderBoulder


Over the past 2 weeks, I’ve started to implement some speedwork into my run training. Not enough to have me running very fast but hopefully enough to run this years BolderBoulder faster than last year. I’ve ran 2 track workouts and a hilly 5k the past 2 weeks. I ran 37:35 last year so 37:34 or faster was the goal. I figured it was a 50/50 shot based on my current level of speed. I just wanted to hang tough during those harder middle miles where I struggled last year.

I’m always amazed by the names that I see in the “A” wave that I started in. I was lined up directly next to the two-time defending Ironman World Champion, Chrissie Wellington. I also saw some state high school champions, 2008 Olympian Triathlon Matt Reed, and a bunch of other names that are so fast. It’s real humbling to be running amongst so many great athletes.

The gun went off at 7:00. I pretty much felt like crap from my first step. I just stuck with it hoping I would come around. I had put in a lot of hours the previous week so I was thinking that maybe this is why I was so flat. I went through the first mile 10 seconds slower that the year before yet I felt like I worked harder to do it. This being the easiest mile on the course, I didn’t know what to think. I did a good job of clearing my mind at that point and just doing what I do and run. I knew the tougher part of the course, miles 2 and 3, was coming and would decide how well I did. I hit the foot of the first hill and I started to come around. I found another gear, felt good at that pace, and just went with it. I was real relaxed throughout the rest of the race and just ran within my current level of speed. I just stayed focused and ended up finishing in 37:20. The final 5 miles are kind of a blur. I had cleared my head like I do in an Ironman run as negative thoughts had crept in during that first mile and I knew that could be my downfall. That worked out for me. Now if I could just figure out the reason for feeling so bad during that first mile. I didn’t do a very good warm up so I think that may be the culprit. That’s something I’ll change for my next race. I’m happy with the way I executed the race.

Mile Splits

1. 5:57
2. 6:01
3. 6:08
4. 6:02
5. 5:53
6. 6:04
1:15 final .2
Total 37:20

While the leg turnover isn’t where it needs to be for future races, it was encouraging to know that I’m faster than last year at this point with very little speedwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment