Monday, August 10, 2009

Mt. Evans


Mike, Jim, Kevin, Me and Todd at the top

Last week, a group of five of us went to ride up Mt. Evans. Mike Hagen, Jim Webber, Kevin Dessart, Todd Murray and Ic all drove up together from the Springs for the ride. Mt. Evans is the highest paved road in North America. I was a little unsure about it because I only own a triathlon bike rather than a traditional road bike that is much better suited for climbing. My goal was to not get dropped. We started in Evergreen. This put us 18 miles away from the base of the climb up the mountain. The trek from Evergreen to Mt. Evans climbs the entire way. There were some occasional pulls by the group that spiked the old heart rate throughout that section but it was something we could all deal with. Most importantly, I was never close to getting dropped. We arrived at the base of the mountain which is 14.5 miles from the top. At this point, each mile seemed like it was taking forever. It was just a relentless climb that never ended. One of the guys got a flat on the way up so we stopped. At that time, I realized I had lost a front brake pad. Uh oh.....this was not going to be good on the way down! We kept plugging away and I was just waiting for treeline at about 12000 feet. The reason is I've always had trouble at high altitude so I expected a dropoff in performance. This time, I actually felt great so gave some good pulls and went off. I never got dropped and had a huge snap is my pedaling up high so it was a great ride. We hung out at the top a while but it was starting to get cold and extremely windy. We took a few pictures of the mountain goats and headed down.
I had moved one of my rear brakes to the front to help out. I was VERY cautious coming down with only one brake. I just let everyone take off. At the bottom, the guys were waiting for me. From that point on, we were all just bombing the downhill section into Evergreen. This was the most fun I've ever had on a bike ride and can't wait to do it again. This time with ALL my brake pads so I can bomb the top section on the way down.

No comments:

Post a Comment