Thursday, November 8, 2012

Trying to Get Back Where I Belong

This summer, I experienced my first real injury. I tore both my calves during the Garden of The Gods Ten Mile Run. Just before the 3 mile mark, I started cramping badly. I foolishly pushed on and tore right through one, then the other calf. I ran about 6 or 7 times over an 8 week period after that. I lost some serious fitness during that time. I'm still trying to get back to where I was but am happy to report that I am injury free* and "close" to the fitness level I expect of myself. I have been trying to get back into proper shape and  have been using this time of year to make sure I get out and run with my friends as often as possible. We have been doing Tue/Thu Track/Tempo workouts the past 4 weeks and it has been great. First, I love seeing some of these guys improvements on both the physical and mental side of things. Second, I think I will be able to race soon at near peak fitness for this time of year. Most of our group is gearing up for the Rock Canyon 1/2 Marathon on December 1st. Personally, I'm working to get to the point where I improve on my time from last year. I'm pushing for the guys to get down there and go after it.

*I had typed this up one day and the next, my right calf started hurting again. Nothing like the summer injuries but enough to back me off. I was able to run 48hrs later up a 4 mile, 1700 foot climb and descend with no issues so I'm fine. Just to be safe, I'll be smart and give up running for the next 5 days. I just used an elliptical machine for the first time to compensate for the lack of running. It was a weird feeling coming off that device then walking on solid ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment